What is positivity?
We hear a lot about positive thinking and the power of positivity. What is positive thinking exactly? Positive thinking goes beyond smiling and being happy. Positive thinking is about being able to see the positive side of things and believe that everything will turn out well. This means that you approach problems with a solution-oriented mentality and see the best in others. Positive thinking is a way to feel happy even when you have little. Instead of being defeated by adversities, you can face them head-on and lift up others.
Surprise reasons we aren’t happy and positive
We live in chaotic times where information overload is a constant occurrence while trying to keep up with our professional and personal lives. You can also add to that the daily experience of dealing with stressful emotions, trauma, relationship issues, and many other things. All this can lead to feeling anxious, stressed, overwhelmed, and frustrated. When:
- If you have any medical issues that are affecting your mental health.
- It’s not possible to live in the moment, think too much, and let your thoughts drift.
- Comparisons with others are a constant habit.
- Don’t let your emotions dictate your actions.
- If you are unhappy with your body, e.g. You are embarrassed about your body weight
What can life positivity do for us?
Science backs science when it says to be positive. It is important to keep a positive outlook on your life. Numerous studies show that positive energy can save your life. Positive thinking has many benefits for the mind and body. It is easy to say that positive thinking is what will carry you through your life. These are the benefits of a positive outlook on life.
- Positive thinking is said to have a negative effect on stress and anxiety. This includes heartburn, high blood pressure, and gastrointestinal problems.
- Being positive in your life can make navigating through difficult treatments and dealing with serious illnesses like cancer easier.
- If left unchecked, constant negativity and feelings of gloom can lead to chronic stress, anxiety, depression, and other mental health issues.
- Positive thinking can have a direct effect on your immune system. This in turn will help you recover quicker from common infections.
- Positive thinking can help us live more fully in the present. This allows us to be more positive and constructive, which in turn helps us to learn new skills and be more productive.
- Positive thinking can have a profound impact on interpersonal relationships. Positive thinking helps to heal relationships by helping you see the best in others, and rise above the petty.
- The greatest power of positivity is the ability to learn self-acceptance, love, and gratitude.
- You can make a huge difference in your quality of life by taking active steps to improve your positive energy.
Is positivity inherent or can I learn how to be positive?
Now that we know the super benefits of saying yes to life through the power of positive thinking, it’s time to learn how to increase positive energy through small yet impactful steps like these:
- The first step is to know yourself. Asking yourself whether you have a positive or a negative disposition will lay the way ahead for taking appropriate and relevant steps to get a positive mindset.
- Practicing mindfulness i.e. being in the present moment and being aware of your surroundings and feelings helps in erasing the negativity from the past and the anxiety about the future.
- One of the best ways to be positive is to surround yourself with positive people, who could be your colleagues, friends, mentors, etc. People who have positive sayings, who buck you up, and who are optimists help in changing your mindset and improving your self-esteem.
- One of the most effective ways to be positive is to practice positive self-talk. If you have a negative self-opinion about yourself or constantly berate yourself, be calm and non-judgemental and gently try to remove these thoughts.
- Start every day with something positive. These could be simple and enjoyable tools like music for meditation, a few pages of your favorite book, reading some positive sayings, or even a great song.
- One of the most effective ways to learn how to improve positive thinking is to see the lighter side of life. Finding humor even in the darkest and most serious situations can help you sail through a trying situation positively.
- A great way to learn how to increase positive energy is to learn from your failures. Take a lesson from every setback and use this learning to successfully tackle tricky situations.